1. Capital One Bank – 858 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 
Capital One agreed to open a bank account for me (Chase and Popular Community Bank flatly refused).
Capital One requirement: give me a temporary debit card (Mastercard) & average daily balance above 300$ => I have two months to bring my account balance up to the $300 minimum otherwise I will get charged maintenance fees on my account (other comment: a 3-month grace period to get the balance above $300 in order to waive the $8 monthly account fee)
+ there needs to be a transaction at least once every 6 months to stop the account becoming dormant.
If an account becomes dormant I was told you need to visit a branch to get it active again.
Documents needed:
+ Passport & visa (the bank will make copies)
+ Copy of address proof (telephone bill from home country or bank statement or credit card statement)
+ $50 in cash to place a deposit
+ An US phone number.


The initial deposit required was $50. The system would not accept a foreign address. (it wanted a US address) I also filled a W8-BEN form with my foreign address details to let the US IRS know that I do not live in the US. Eventually, she ended up typing in my foreign address with Brooklyn and a New York zip code at the end of it.

Finally it was time to activate my online banking access. When the rep tried to register me, the activation system would not work without an SSN. She informed me that I would not be able to use online banking and I would need to do everything over the phone => Solution: if you do not have an SSN, you can still register for Capital One online banking by entering 9 9′s. So: 999999999 will help you get registered for online banking! I decided to try it on their website and sure enough, it worked perfectly!


I got in touch with Capital One through their online chat (you get this after you are logged into your online banking) and asked them if I could attach a US address to my debit card but keep my physical mailing address the same. The agent told me that they could attach a ‘temporary US address’ to my debit card for up to one year. All I needed to do was provide them with the address through the online chat. It took five minutes and my debit card now has a temporary US address (I gave a close friend’s address) attached to it. My mailing/physical address did not change and I can now use my debit card online with a US billing address for one year. The agent said that if I want to renew the ‘temporary address’ after a year, I just had to call them or talk to them online and update it once more.

2. Second option:

Bank: Capital One.

Branch: New York, 320 Park Avenue in Manhattan.

Account Type to open: Essential Checking.

Documents required:

+ Your passport + 1 more photographic form of ID such as a Driver’s License.
+ 2 proofs of foreign address. Such as a Bank statement + utility bill from your home country.
Wedding certificate if opening a joint account like I did with my wife.
+ 1 Bank Statement from your home country.

Additional requirements:

You will need to provide a ‘Correspondence Address’ which is in the US. This can be a friend/relative. A hotel address is not acceptable.
– This correspondence address can be changed to your overseas address but only after the account is opened.
You will need to provide a US Telephone number also which should be from the same contact as above.

$300 opening deposit cash.


1. Visit the bank early in the morning and as soon as possible after your arrival day. Don’t plan any other commitments for this day-It took us a few hours to get the account opened. It might be quicker for you as they may be more familiar.
2. Bring all required items, explain that you are a non US. resident and ask for an Essential Checking account to be opened. They might direct you to their website, in which case just say that you are aware that this type of account can only be opened in person.
3. They will need some time going through the process as its uncommon & may need the managers intervention etc. They’ll check & take photocopies of your documents.
4. Make sure that towards the end, you ask for Debit Card(s). The address for the Debit Cards will probably be matched to the US correspondence address. But this can also be changed afterwards.
5. Ask for Online Banking to be setup. It’s easy & works regardless of your residency. Just choose your email address as the main contact method so it doesn’t try to send text messages to your US friend/relatives telephone.
6. Ask for a temporary Debit Card and test it on the spot so you can enjoy the convenience right away for the rest of your stay.

After returning to your home country:

1. Login to online banking and start a chat help session & ask for the correspondence & Debit Card addresses to be changed to match the main account address (your overseas address). – You might need to request this by telephone if they won’t do it via online chat.
2. Ask your friend to forward the Debit cards received in the post or ask Capital One to send you another one to your new correspondence address which is now matching your foreign address.
3. Enjoy, consider leaving positive feedback for the bank clerk and happy US Banking.

Additional Notes:

Capital One IOS App: I cant install this as my Icloud account is not registered to the US. No big deal for me I just use web/mobile web banking.

Apple Pay: This apparently works but I didn’t test it yet.

Ref: bkpk.me/how-to-open-a-us-bank-account-as-a-tourist/


As a non-resident, however, you likely won’t be able to open an account online.

You will also need a handful of documents to open an account:

+ a government-issued ID, such as a passport

+ proof of address

+ a real mailing address to open your account: banks in the US usually send important items like debit cards by mail

+ information about your source of funds before the bank approves.

+ minimum deposits in the US are usually fairly low, ranging from around $100 to $1,500


two types of bank accounts – personal and corporate: a current account


larger banks like US Bank, Chase, and Wells Fargo are more open to non-residents than smaller banks.

you usually need a US phone number to manage your account – especially when you need to authorize large transfers or resolve complex issues over the phone.

you’ll need to have a mailing address that you can easily access if the bank sends anything to you